subnormal numbers?

Does gfortran do anything special with subnormal numbers?
I've been playing with MPFR with the intention of changing
gfortran from the use of GMP's mpf to MPFR's mpfr types.
The documentation of MPFR states

   In particular, with a precision of 53 bits, `mpfr' should be
   able to exactly reproduce all computations with double-precision
   machine floating-point numbers (`double' type in C), except the
   default exponent range is much wider and subnormal numbers are
   not implemented.

I think we can handle the exponent range, but subnormal numbers
may mean some contortions in code.

--
Steve