Re: modification of g77 for default 64-bit integers on x86-64

Jiri Pittner wrote:

You pointed out another bug

Well, that's not what I hoped would result from my 5 second thoughts on this. For me it's easy to think up examples that won't work with your changes.

I asked Craig Burley 8 years ago how to implement -r8 -i8 and gave him some ideas how I wanted to change the front end.

He said, basically: You're barking up to the wrong tree. g77 has too many places that don't discern between "default real/integer" and "four byte real/integer" for this to be easy. g77 simply is not designed to make this easy.

I'd rather hope you want to contribute to gfortran, the GNU Fortran 95 (and onwards) compiler. At least this aspect has been part of the initial design.

Kind regards,