IO Library

I have been looking into PR's concerning the runtime lib.

the parameter _gfortran_ioparm.recl_in which is set by the OPEN
statement is treated as a reference parameter. Is it possible this
should be a value parameter, just like the unit number ?

the only two situations I can come up with:

I=100
open(...RECL=I...)

and

open(...RECL=100...)

both make me think that it is fixed at the time of the open statement
and a value would be right.

Since this is kind of a fundamental runtime interface issue, i wanted
some feedback before digging further down this path.

The broken parts of direct access I/O look to be simple to fix {patches
pending copyright assignment paperwork}

regards,
bud davis