Re: g77 compability ..

Lars Segerlund wrote:

 I have some questions regarding the g77 compability,
mainly about the handling of libs and such.

I believe that we are moving in the direction of having g77 for GCC 3.4 and gfortran for GCC 3.5. Distributors of GNU/Linux or other free OS's are well-advised to have an /opt/bin/g77(-3.4) if they offer GCC 3.5 as the "system compiler".

This is all at least a year in the future.

 Is there a consensus on how to handle g77 library calls ?
Are we to keep libg2c ( or what it's current name is  ),
or provide calls to libgfortran instead ?
( it's not to hard to map most g77 library calls to g95 ones ).

My idea is to only port libU77 - everything else is covered. Now if people want to link gfortran and g77 compiled stuff together (assuming that we can make *that* work) they'll have to specify "the other" run time library (e.g., if they do the link with gfortran, they'll have to specify -L/opt/lib/... -lg2c).

 And is this not one of the highest prioritized tasks ahead ?
If we can't handle this I believe there will be major problems
with old g77 code when gcc 3.5 shows up ?

See above on how this should be handled.

 There are more issues, as when linking g77 to external libs
and to C stubs accessing external libs
and this is a common method used in a lot of old code.

I think this is covered by the above.

 If this is bad enought should we not have a separate g77 compability page
or g77 task list ?

I think a separate heading is enough.

However, I'm open to suggestions otherwise.

Kind regards,

GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ (under construction)